13 Nov 6 Ways Physical Therapy can relieve your Pain
Everyone experiences pain at some point in their lives but the individual experience of pain is unique. Fortunately, physical therapy can help to manage and relieve pain in many ways.
- Stretching Exercises: Stretching exercises are mild exercises that can greatly reduce pain. Stretching enhances flexibility, which can provide relief from many types of pain.
- Strengthening Exercises: It is important to develop muscle strength around the area where the pain originates. For example, knee pain can be relieved to a great degree by strengthening leg muscles.
- Cardio Exercises: For some types of pain, cardiovascular exercises can help you stay in shape, and help to reduce pain in the long term. Only a licensed physical therapist can prescribe which exercises are suitable for you.
- Water Exercises: For people who can’t engage in high-impact exercises, water or pool exercises may work better. These regular bring the benefits of both regular exercise and the support of performing exercises in water.
- Ice: It sounds too simple but the application of ice can relieve any pain associated with swelling and inflammation, in case of acute injuries.
- Heat: Heat can help relieve pain in case of injuries or cramps, muscle tightness or spasms.
It may be obvious, but it is important to discuss any and all pain relief and pain management techniques with your doctor and physical therapist before starting any exercises.